Your Favourite Food - 2013 Annual Youth Challenge
Are you the next generation of quilters? Do you have untapped creativity just waiting to show the world? If you are an elementary, middle or high school student, you can enter our youth challenge!
One of the goals of CQA/ACC is to encourage quilting in Canada. With this challenge we hope that members of CQA/ACC will share their skills and mentor younger people to create a quilt. This hands-on project will be a great interactive experience for children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, school classes or special friends. Reach out and inspire our youth to accept this challenge!
- The theme this year is “Your Favourite Food”. The quilt could show your favourite food, how the food is made, how it grows, or an abstract interpretation of it. The theme is completely open to interpretation by the quilter.
- The challenge is to complete a quilt based on the theme using any style of quilting such as traditional, art, or modern.
- The entries must be sponsored by an individual member or shop member in good standing in CQA/ACC. CQA/ACC members may sponsor more than one entry. There are no specific duties for the sponsor, except to encourage young quilters!
- The quilt can be any size. It must be three layers, and quilted by hand and/or machine. It must be either bound or closed along the edges with either hand or machine stitching.
- The quilter may use any combination of hand and/or machine piecing, appliqué and quilting. The use of embellishment such as beads, embroidery, fibres, ribbon, paint, crayon etc. is the choice of the quilter. This is an opportunity to experiment and try new things.
- The entry must be free of any text or images that are protected by copyright, unless you have written permission from the holder of the copyright. For any patterns and/or designs that are not your own, you will be required to give credit to the source, and obtain written permission if using another person’s pattern/design.
Entries including photos must be received by February 28, 2013. There will be a form on the CQA/ACC website for you to submit your entry and to upload a photo of your creation. The membership will vote for their favourites from March 1 – March 15, 2013.
A winner will be named in each of the following categories; elementary, middle and high school. There will also be a Viewers’ Choice award.
Northcott has generously donated fabric prizes for each category and Viewers’ Choice.
The winners will also be featured with their quilts, in the summer 2013 edition of ‘The Canadian Quilter’ newsletter. Winners will each receive a free copy of that issue, as well as a ribbon and certificate. Winning quilts will also be shown at Quilt BC 2013 in Penticton. (Note: A label will need to be attached to the back of the quilt showing: the title, artist’s name, date completed and credits.)
Members are encouraged to find young quilters. The sponsor of the entry which wins Viewers’ Choice will receive a free one year renewal of their CQA/ACC membership.